- All classes of tea come from this same plant. The different classes of tea, e.g. black, green, oolong are the result of the differences in the tea manufacturing process. Most chai wallahs use the cheapest tea available which is dust tea or fannings. Fannings are pieces of tea leaves left over from the sievings that separate out the whole leaves and large pieces of leaves. Dust is what is left over from the fannings! These teas impart their flavor very quickly and can make a robust tannic tea, mainly used in tea bags. CTC or cut, tear, curl is a mechanical process which produces tiny spherical shaped particles of tea. Latest scientific studies have shown that Camellia Sinesis contains tea polyphenols which are powerful antioxidants that may play a leading role in lowering LDL Cholesterol with a subsequent decreased risk of heart disease.
- Elaichi or illaichi; (Elettaria cardamomum) green, white or black pods which contain black seeds, very aromatic when crushed. Green pods are more aromatic than plumper, bleached white pods. Green and white are generally used with sweet cooking, black is generally used for savory cooking, most prized spice after saffron, Antispasmodic, digestive stimulant, eases flatulence, helpful for headaches.
- Darchini or taj; (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) used in rolled sticks or powder from the inner bark of cinnamon trea, aromatic sweet and pleasant flavor. Relieves nausea, flatulence, and diarrhea. Generally considered to be of better quality than cassia bark from C. cassia, a close relative.
- Laving or lavang or laung; (Eugenia aromatica). Wonderful aroma, used whole or powdered. Antiseptic, antispasmodic, prevents nausea, may be chewed as a breath freshener.
- Adrak or adu (rhizome), soonth or sont (powdered); (Zingiber officinale). Sharp taste. Native to most of Asia. Peel before using. Eases a cold, brings warmth and settles stomach, cleansing effect on body, prevents nausea, improves appetite and digestion.
Kali mirac or mari. Used whole or powdered. Black and white pepper comes from same shrub; instead of picking unripe berries and drying to produce black pepper, fruit is allowed to ripen then is soaked to remove dark outer skin, producing white variety. Milder, helps promote gastric secretions.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease